Monday 18 February 2013

I am going to read Hannah's blog

Monday has come around again...why do the weekends go so quickly Pre-Inters? Time flies when you're having fun I guess!

Today I was DELIGHTED at the homework I received from you. Really great lengthy essays with loads of great idioms, well done guys.

We started today's lesson talking about free time activities and different ways to say that you like doing something. Here is a picture of the board.


Remember: after a preposition we always use verb+ing. For example,

"In my free time I am a big fan of swimming and I am obsessed with baking cookies. Last year I got into watching old black and white movies with my boyfriend and when we watch them we are keen on eating Doritos and dip.We are also interested in learning new languages and traveling to different countries"

We also talked about spare time related collocations using do, play and collect. Here is an exercise we did in class to help you revise.


 Later in the lesson we talked about 'going to' for future plans. Here is the grammar...


We then talked about asking more 'going to' questions with the question words WHEN, WHERE, WHY, WHAT and WHO. 


We asked each other some questions about the future, for example,

Q. What are you going to eat for dinner tonight?
A. Spaghetti Bolognese. 
Q. Where are you going to visit in Ireland?
A. Cork and Belfast.
Q. Why are you going to Dicey's tomorrow night?
A. To meet new people and drink Guinness!
Q. When are you going to return to your own country?
A. When I have learned English.
Q. Who are you going to chat with after class?
A. My friends and my house mates.
 Remember: When you want to use the verb 'go' in a 'going to' sentence, you don't need to repeat it. For example,
I am going to go to the cinema
I am going to go on holiday to Indonesia


We also learned to use 'going to' for predictions about the future based on evidence we can SEE and HEAR.

Seeing and hearing is believing!

So for example:
That man is walking towards a banana skin, I think he's going to slip.
 The sky is very cloudy, I think it is going to rain.
The music is getting quieter, I think the party is going to finish soon.

We looked at this picture and talked about what is going to happen based on what you can see...


Also try this online test to see if you can guess what's going to happen based on what you can hear.

The homework tonight is to take three photographs of things that are  
going to happen and write a 'going to' prediction for each photo. Here is an example for you...

I am going to eat some delicious dessert!

Email your homework to me at hannahsenglishclassroom@live.com and I will put the best ones up on the blog!

Have a nice evening, see you tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment